I missed the original post here. Who is the Michael you are quoting?
Original pages of what?

Your focus on the And is quite important. What's the line in the Pisan
Cantos that goes something like "x is also of the process"? The "and"
is, among other thngs, a way of recognizing the centrality of those who
have gone before: we do not start at the beginning but in the midst of a
process that started with the voyages of Odysseus, the rediscovery of
those voyages in the late middle ages, the loneliness of the Seafarer;,
the waves taking form.

Carrol