But 'Wieners' aren't jam doughnuts also - it's the duality of meaning that
causes the serious ambiguity I think,  along with the use of 'ein' before
'Berliner'.

Conversely, it's same as  if one asks in Frankfurt for a Frankfurter:you're
not very likely to get a hot dog but a bemused native pointing at
themselves. [reminds me of schoolmate on an exchange visit to Germany asking
at a sausage stall for a 'heisses Hund'.........

Gunnar,please advise if you can !

Regards

David

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 6:13 AM, robert meyer <[log in to unmask]