Cox wrote:

C> But Kennedy's claim to be a Berliner had its grim side:

C> it was an implicit threat to blow up the world

C> in 'defense' of Berlin

Sorry Cox. Today we have the Internet so we can judge for ourselves the
ridiculous claims of the Far Left. You can't get away with it any more.

Here's the text of President Kennedy's heroic speech at Berlin. Let me know
if anyone on the list finds an "implicit threat to blow up the world in
'defense' of Berlin".

============================

Text: Kennedy's Berlin speech

(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3022166.stm)

I am proud to come to this city as the guest of your distinguished Mayor,
who has symbolised throughout the world the fighting spirit of West Berlin.

And I am proud to visit the Federal Republic with your distinguished
chancellor who for so many years has committed Germany to democracy and
freedom and progress, and to come here in the company of my fellow American,
General Clay, who has been in this city during its great moments of crisis
and will come again if ever needed.

Two thousand years ago the proudest boast was "civis Romanus sum". Today, in
the world of freedom, the proudest boast is "Ich bin ein Berliner".

I appreciate my interpreter translating my German!

There are many people in the world who really don't understand, or say they
don't, what is the great issue between the free world and the Communist
world. Let them come to Berlin.

There are some who say that Communism is the wave of the future. Let them
come to Berlin.

And there are some who say in Europe and elsewhere we can work with the
Communists. Let them come to Berlin.

And there are even a few who say that it is true that Communism is an evil
system, but it permits us to make economic progress. Lass' sie nach Berlin
kommen. Let them come to Berlin.

Freedom has many difficulties and democracy is not perfect, but we have
never had to put a wall up to keep our people in, to prevent them from
leaving us.

I want to say, on behalf of my countrymen, who live many miles away on the
other side of the Atlantic, who are far distant from you, that they take the
greatest pride that they have been able to share with you, even from a
distance, the story of the last 18 years.

I know of no town, no city, that has been besieged for 18 years that still
lives with the vitality and the force, and the hope and the determination of
the city of West Berlin.

While the wall is the most obvious and vivid demonstration of the failures
of the Communist system, for all the world to see, we take no satisfaction
in it, for it is, as your mayor has said, an offence not only against
history but an offense against humanity, separating families, dividing
husbands and wives and brothers and sisters, and dividing a people who wish
to be joined together.

What is true of this city is true of Germany - real, lasting peace in Europe
can never be assured as long as one German out of four is denied the
elementary right of free men, and that is to make a free choice.

In 18 years of peace and good faith, this generation of Germans has earned
the right to be free, including the right to unite their families and their
nation in lasting peace, with good will to all people.

You live in a defended island of freedom, but your life is part of the main.

So let me ask you as I close, to lift your eyes beyond the dangers of today,
to the hopes of tomorrow, beyond the freedom merely of this city of Berlin,
or your country of Germany, to the advance of freedom everywhere, beyond the
wall to the day of peace with justice, beyond yourselves and ourselves to
all mankind.

Freedom is indivisible, and when one man is enslaved, all are not free.

When all are free, then we can look forward to that day when this city will
be joined as one and this country and this great continent of Europe in a
peaceful and hopeful globe.

When that day finally comes, as it will, the people of West Berlin can take
sober satisfaction in the fact that they were in the front lines for almost
two decades.

All free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Berlin, and,
therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words "Ich bin ein Berliner".