The past two days have brought a mixed flock of blackbirds to my yard, feeding primarily on the ground where I've spread screenings from a seed cleaning business (wheat, corn, and weeds) and black oil sunflower seed.  I've seen Brewers, Rusty, and Red Winged Blackbirds; and Brown Headed Cowbirds.  Some of the Brewers yesterday were quite bedraggled looking, with ice encrusted feet and tail feathers.  Today the temps are up and they look better.  An unidentifed bird, same size as Brewers and Rusties, seen only from the back, had some solid gray primaries and tail feathers, seemingly scattered among darker brownish feathers.  ?

Intermittently heavy rain is now falling and freezing.  :(

June Newman
Carroll County Missouri (rural)