Saw 1 BLACK SCOTER today in Ellis Bay, in the waters nearest hwy 67, and
1 AMERICAN BLACK DUCK, behind the nearby island, not far from a good
number of GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE and CACKLING GEESE.  Also 1
HERRING GULL, missing its right foot completely, hobbling along on the
ice, and a helpless TRUMPETER SWAN, suffering under the weight of an ice
collar which must have been at least 3 or 4 pounds.  I'm assuming the
bird was neck-banded, and that the band formed the base for the
accumulation of ice.  I watched the bird stroke its neck on the ice
shelf, obviously trying to get rid of it, but couldn't.  It gave up and
simply stretched out its neck, laying its head on the ice, exhausted.

Photo here:

http://mike-thelen.smugmug.com/gallery/6826860_nCNxj#440732835_TQ2hC

Mike Thelen
St. Louis County, MO