Yesterday was the Big Oak Tree State Park Christmas Bird Count. Nine hardy
birds in four parties braved the cold, ice, clouds, fog, and slop to get a
relatively average count. I don't have one party's list yet, but it looks
like we may have somewhere in the high 70s for species.

Highlights included one DICKCISSEL (with a flock of White-crowned Sparrows),
seen by me and Wes Mueller east of Ten Mile Pond CA; a count-first pair of
Ruddy Ducks at Ten Mile Pond; thousands of other waterfowl; and not a whole
let else out of the ordinary. Visibility was poor, and most areas were
frozen--something we haven't had in recent years.

Tomorrow is the Mingo count, so we hope we have a better day!

----Bill Eddleman, Cape Girardeau

http://www.mobirds.org