The large crop stubble and plowed fields in the Missouri river plain
near me are alive with large flocks of  what I assume to be Horned
Larks.   I associate them with a kind of "choreographed" flight, with
silvery flashes of their white bellies.  I don't have Lapland
Longspurs on my Mo list, and would like to see some.  If they were to
be in the flocks I'm seeing, how would they stand out?  Clearly they
look quite different up close, but what about from a distance, simply
observing those huge, restless seeming flocks?  Is their smaller size
clearly evident?  Will they be randomly mixed in, or in their own
flocks, simply sharing the same fields?  Am I going to have to zip up
my coat and get out of my warm car and set up a scope?  Rats!

June Newman
Carroll County Missouri