Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary.
St. Charles county. 12-21-08.

Dave Rogles tipped me to 2 first winter Lesser Black-backed gulls on the ice:
I found the obvious one: smaller than Herring
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/bilrudn/lbb1-4.jpg
you find the less obvious one:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/bilrudn/lbb2-4.jpg
yep: darker back; white under rear half; more black/white than the Herrings:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/bilrudn/lbb3-3.jpg

Here the round green headed scaup w/cans:
Colors kinda Christmasee:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/bilrudn/green-head.jpg

Some stiff tails:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/bilrudn/duck2.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/bilrudn/ducka.jpg
gotcha:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/bilrudn/duck1-1.jpg

Here a gull I was selling as a Kumlien's:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/bilrudn/12-21-082.jpg
grey outer webs BUT dark band across P tips:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/bilrudn/12-21-083.jpg
here sootier than when 1/4 mile away and 10 degees:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/bilrudn/12-21-081.jpg
It is not a clean Thayer's RE: P5 unmarked:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/bilrudn/12-21-084.jpg
It is a middle of the Kumlien's/Thayer's complex.
Could be the dark end of Kumlien's or the light end of Thayer's.

Bill Rudden
St. Louis