saw a large mixed flock of LALO and Horned Larks (HOLA) on the last stretch of gravel road leading into CCNWR on the left hand side of the road, most of them were HOLA. As I was glassing them all I saw were larks until the flock shifted around and all of a sudden I had 30 LALO in front of me and I am sure there were more there. I was not able to find a snow bunting in the flock. All the water on the refuge itself was frozen over and I found no waterfowl although the young lady in the headquarters said they were holding as many as 150,000 waterfowl at one point in November.
     While deer hunting earlier in the day saw some interesting winter birds including NOrthern Harrier, Fox sparrow, Brown Creeper, Bald Eagle, Red Breasted nuthatch and A shrike that flew off before I could identify it as to species.

Dave Haenni  Des Peres, MIssouri

http://www.mobirds.org