Doug has given us a great list!

To it I would add Google and Google Images. The latter provides lots of photos of that suspect, hard-to-identify bird.

Caveat: Not all Google pix are identified correctly!

There are also websites dedicated to the identification of certain groupings of species. E.g. the GULL IDENTIFICATION WEBSITE at http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/canopy/6181/gulls.htm. (See also links to other websites with large collections of gull photos at the bottom of the GULL IDENTIFICATION website).

Whenever someone posts a request for help with some ID conundrum, I get on the internet and look for answers.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri