     Lester's observation pushed me to ask a question that I had to deal with starting last winter, when reporting to Project Feeder Watch.  We, even at this early date, have a flock of over a hundred goldfinches at our feeders.  Is this a common number?

Carla Bascom; Shannon County; SW of Eminence in the woods.

Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 14:51:33 -0600From: [log in to unmask]: bird feedingTo: [log in to unmask]

            I have been feeding birds for over 15 years. The decline in my feeder population has declined by 2/3 this years. This has followed an apparent decline in birds on my 40 acres during the summer. There has been some loss of habitat. Has anyone else had a similiar problem ?  Lester Pannell------------------------------------------------------------