It is an unusual day birding when the most plentiful species seen are Great
Blue Heron, Bald Eagle, Red-headed Woodpeckers, and Wilson's Snipe.  We
started our trip in the southern tract of B.K. Leach and had few ducks as most  of
the water was frozen.  There were at least 20 Great Blue Heron in  various
areas and one Common Snipe in a small pool with a little open  water.  There were
more than 15 Red-headed Woodpeckers seen throughout the  trees.

The 20 mph winds cut down on the sparrow sightings.  A drive north on  the
main road turned up 3 meadowlarks and a few Savannah Sparrows.  More  Red-headed
Woodpeckers were seen and heard in Norton Woods.  White Pelicans  could be
seen in the sky.   Six Bald Eagle were sitting on the frozen  ponds near the
destroyed equipment shed.  Five or six more eagles were  stirring up the few
Northern Shovelers, Gadwall and Mallards in the area.   Down the creek east of the
shed were 2 Northern Harriers hunting and 3 Great  Egrets staying out of the
wind.  At Bittern Basin we saw 6 more Bald Eagles  sitting on the iced-over
ponds.  While checking out Prairie Slough, we saw  12 Bald Eagles of various
ages seemingly flying together south, as if migrating  in a group.

A trip to Winfield yielded many Northern Shovelers in the slough and around
6 Lesser Scaup in the river.  A large group of gulls all appeared to be
Ring-billed.  A trip down Sandy Slough produced a group of 14 Wilson's  Snipe on
the mud flats with numerous Killdeer and 3 Least Sandpipers.

Totals reported on CACHE.

Pat Lueders, Trip Leader

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/