From: Tom Colket <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: A TSE reference to Inferno XV before 'Little Gidding'?
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Monday, December 15, 2008, 7:19 AM

#yiv1881502285 .hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;padding:0px;}
#yiv1881502285 {
font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;}

CR:

My last post mentioned that I thought there is a link between the Little Gidding section alluding to Inferno Canto XV and lines from Prufrock that also appear to allude to Canto XV. Looking again at LG, Eliot may have explicitly signaled that link. Notice the lines from LG that talk about "revisiting streets" and compare them to Prufrock:

LG:
==========================
And he: 'I am not eager to rehearse
     My thoughts and theory which you have forgotten.
     These things have served their purpose: let them be.
.. . .
So I find words I never thought to speak
     In streets I never thought I should revisit
     When I left my body on a distant shore.
===================================

===================================
Prufrock:

Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
.. . .
Oh, do not ask, “What is it?”
Let us go and make our visit.

As far as the reference to  "I left my body on a distant shore", consider TSE's friend Jean Verdenal, killed at Gallipoli. Rick Parker's web site has lots of good information about Verdenal:

http://world.std.com/~raparker/exploring/thewasteland/explore.html

-- Tom --