Rick,

1) You didn't ask me
and
2) I'm not a lawyer
but:

I've read a fair bit on U.S. copyright law.  What I give is not legal
advice or opinion but it is a good starting place to ask real lawyers
questions.

Information is not what is copyrighted; it's creativity.  In one of
the examples you give, the ancient poems, it is very likely that an
unusual use of spaces, etc. that were not in the original would be
deemed a creative way of displaying the poem and could be copyrighted.
The poems would likely be translations and each would be protected even
though the original would not.  The order of the poems could be
creative and thus that could be copyrighted.

Information that is not copyrightable would include simple address and
phone number lists and recipes (while a recipe could be VERY creative
I think that there is case law saying that the ingredients and cooking
steps cannot be copyrighted.)

As for a new equation or proof, I doubt that it can be copyrighted
(although I do not know.) It is likely that case law combined with
precedents in mathematics would keep these in the public domain.

Regards,
    Rick Parker