Here I am, late again.  Sorry, but I haven't been much up for writing
Tom but you've been getting me reading and thinking.  Here is some of
what I've found on Eliot and Latini that I think you will appreciate.

Eliot early on wrote about Brunetto Latini. See the third paragraph of
Part II of "Tradition and the Individual Talent."
    http://www2.bartleby.com/200/sw4.html

In "T.S. Eliot: The Modernist in History" (edited by Ronald Bush) A.
Walton Litz writes about Eliot and Latini in "The Allusive Poet: Eliot
and his Sources." The essay quotes correspondence between TSE and John
Hayward and has some of the drafts of 4Q (the "What! Are you here?"
originally named Latini.) It makes much of Yeats as the Master.
The essay starts on p. 137 but Google has a page view limit so
start on page 146.  I hope this link will work.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=J6gAtYOpAHYC&pg=PA146&lpg=PA146&source=web

The essay I sent to you privately
(
http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Italian_Studies/LD/numbers/02/harris.html
)
I sent that way because it didn't discuss Eliot at all.  It was pretty
good on how Dante's use of detail made his characters feel real.

Regarding the original message subject of: "A TSE reference to Inferno
XV before 'Little Gidding'?" you wrote:

> As always, comments, criticisms, and corrections are welcome.

My comment: I'm glad you put in the question mark.  I say "No way."
Sometimes a pipe is just a pipe.

Regards,
    Rick Parker