On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 6:25 PM, Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
David Boyd wrote:

> - wouldn't it have been
> formidable if from the gene pool had emerged anyone with the talent of
> TSE and the wit of Dr. J  ? - suppose it's a bit like expecting
> engineers to be literate - mutually exclusive, usually.

What do you mean by this -- that Johnson, the author of that great poem,
The Vanity of Human Wishes,had no talent?

Carrol

****
But scarce observ'd the Knowing and the Bold,
Fall in the gen'ral Massacre of Gold;
Wide-wasting Pest! that rages unconfin'd,
And crouds with Crimes the Records of Mankind,
For Gold his Sword the Hireling Ruffian draws,
For Gold the hireling Judge distorts the Laws;
Wealth heap'd on Wealth, nor Truth nor Safety buys,
The Dangers gather as the Treasures rise.
****

Focus for a few moments on "And crouds with Crimes the Records of
Mankind. . ." Unsurpassable!

Carrol

No, by no means at all, Carrol, just that it seems to me that Dr J posessed the lightning-speed and acuity of sheer wit whilst TSE didn't quite excel here, but in converse with the poetic talent and  achievement. That both personages were immense all-round talents wasn't doubted at all - just dared to suggest  perhaps this was in slightly different departments - but as they say YMMV !

PS
Speculating, I suppose,  that  TSE and Dr J just might have profiled very very diferently on such as Myers-Briggs.