On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 6:25 PM, Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> David Boyd wrote:
> >

> > - wouldn't it have been
> > formidable if from the gene pool had emerged anyone with the talent of
> > TSE and the wit of Dr. J  ? - suppose it's a bit like expecting
> > engineers to be literate - mutually exclusive, usually.
>
> What do you mean by this -- that Johnson, the author of that great poem,
> The Vanity of Human Wishes,had no talent?
>
> Carrol
>
> ****
> But scarce observ'd the Knowing and the Bold,
> Fall in the gen'ral Massacre of Gold;
> Wide-wasting Pest! that rages unconfin'd,
> And crouds with Crimes the Records of Mankind,
> For Gold his Sword the Hireling Ruffian draws,
> For Gold the hireling Judge distorts the Laws;
> Wealth heap'd on Wealth, nor Truth nor Safety buys,
> The Dangers gather as the Treasures rise.
> ****
>
> Focus for a few moments on "And crouds with Crimes the Records of
> Mankind. . ." Unsurpassable!
>
> Carrol

No, by no means at all, Carrol, just that it seems to me that Dr J posessed
the lightning-speed and acuity of sheer wit whilst TSE didn't quite excel
here, but in converse with the poetic talent and  achievement. That both
personages were immense all-round talents wasn't doubted at all - just dared
to suggest  perhaps this was in slightly different departments - but as they
say YMMV !

PS
Speculating, I suppose,  that  TSE and Dr J just might have profiled very
very diferently on such as Myers-Briggs.