Randy Cartwright and I birded around Smithville Lake this morning from 7:45-9:30.  Somehow, we made our way around the lake, stopping at several places and still got done that quickly.  I got several FOS, just b/c this is my 1st trip to Smithville this season.  We didn't stay anywhere for long, and since our scope doesn't focus that well zoomed in, there may have been rarities we missed.  By the time we arrived at the dam (7:45), only the gulls and a few grebes lingered.  We found ducks in farm ponds off Smithville Lake and from the picnic area of Crow's Creek.  Since we were really just looking for the water birds, the others were just what we found along the way.  I had 1 Cackling Goose fly right over my head at Little Platte.  Full list follows:

Jennifer Reidy, Liberty

Common Loon - 7
Horned grebe - 6
P-b Grebe - 3