About 1:30 I walked down to the mailbox and headed out along the creek. Presently I knew the black lab had spotted something in the tangles along the creek.  I left him alone and he flushed a WOODCOCK.  Sure wish my eyes were as sharp as his.  The poor dog is so used to tolerating my birding, he points warblers, flycatchers, sparrows, whatever is in season!

Besides the woodcock:

The abundant berries and grapes here continue to draw a real show.  Daily I'm seeing

Cedar waxwings - Monday I had over 150 on my walnut tree with the big grape vine in it.
Hermit thrush - see or hear 4 or 5 every day
Am. Robins by the hundreds
E. Bluebirds
Yellow-rumped warblers - many still

Others:

Fox sparrow - saw my first one of season the 16th.
Golden-crowned kinglets
Had an indignant belted kingfisher down by the creek

Plus all the usual woodland suspects makes this winter very promising.  The food situation here was very desperate last winter, but great this fall.

Judy Bergmann
Silva - Rural Wayne Co