After sensible ruby-throated hummingbirds were gone, but before my
Mexican sage plants were past their peak, an immature male ruby-
throat with a sooty "vest" arrived. That was Oct. 20 and it is still
present this morning! We've had at least 4 nights with temperatures
below freezing and there are almost no blooms left. The bird visits
my nectar feeders and guards the yard, but it is unusually shy for a
hummer. It's been difficult to get a photo, but I have some of my
attempts posted at
http://mobirds.smugmug.com/gallery/6561470_8WQDF#417409990_rBXDf

Is this the latest ruby-throat ever?
Anne McCormack