St. Louis Audubon Society
Report for Sat, Nov 15, 2008

St. Charles County
  Busch CA
  Weldon Spring CA (Blue Grosbeak Trail)

The overnight precipitation ended just before the official start time and
the clouds broke up to reveal scattered patches of blue sky.  We started out
at Hampton Lake parking lot with a nice little mix of birds including 1
RUSTY BLACKBIRD.  The continuous passing of AMERICAN ROBINs set the stage
for the rest of the trip:  robins were common at each stop and it was as if
all of Busch CA was a roosting site.  We counted 5 BALD EAGLEs, including 3
in one field of view.  On the Fallen Oak Trail we found a handsome male
EASTERN TOWHEE.

At the pinetum we were surprised by a sudden en masse flight of robins,
wondering out loud where the hawk was and, sure enough, an adult
SHARP-SHINNED HAWK came in, driving the robins ahead.  The hawk made two
very quick stops in the pinetum, perching each time high in the pines.
Pat's sharp ears detected 2 BROWN CREEPERs before we saw them.

One fly-by RED-TAILED HAWK along the Blue Grosbeak Trail was a light
"Western."  There were 5 sparrow species along the trail, including a large
flock of 14 FOX SPARROWs.  1 PINE SISKIN came in with a flock of AMERICAN
GOLDFINCHes.

The data will be entered in CACHE/SPARKS.

Stats:

Start:    08:00
End:      12:15
Birders:  7
Species:  50

Weather at 04:51 at Lambert-St. Louis Intl Airport:

Temp:     42F
Hum:      82%
Wind:     NW14G22MPH
Sky:      Light drizzle