We started at Creve Coeur Lake in St Louis County where we enjoyed watching five Common Loons hanging out together, several Horned Grebes and several Bonaparte's Gulls including one or two black-tailed youngsters along with some Ring-billeds.....   (afterthought 11-15 1am ... 5 loons still there 11-14 afternoon).

Checking out River Valley Drive produced a few Red-tailed Hawks including one of the beautiful pale phased.  There was one hawk that did hover briefly and one perching bird that looked interesting but flew off before I could scope it.  Then on to Columbia Bottom where Richard Coles spotted the shrike in what turned out to be its habitual intermittent perch after a suspect bird had flown off from there on our way in.  Scoping from the road in that sunlight (about 1230pm) showed a definite shrike but couldn't make out the details of the head pattern or breast pattern.  Glad Joe got better looks and was able to confirm that it was a northern.  We saw several Red-tailed Hawks and one or two Am Kestrels before we left for a brief visit to Riverlands.

At RMBS we saw Mallards, Ring-necked Ducks, Scaup species, Ruddys, Gadwall, Green-winged Teal, Hooded Mergansers,   Many Am Coots.  Several Horned Grebes. One AW Pelican.  We left at 230 to get back to Des Peres, so had run out of time to check Cora Island Road.  We had one or two Stilt Sandpipers and lots of white-headed gulls in the water on the way to the spillway.

Jackie Chain
St Louis County