From: Donald Hays <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Chickadees in the contact zone
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 10:40 AM

winter:
I have lived and birded in the contact zone where the ranges of Black-capped
and Carolina Chickadees overlap--along the Missouri River in east-central
Missouri since the 1960's. It has been my experience that out of place
occurrences are most frequent in fall and winter, perhaps when these and
other woodland birds form mixed foraging flocks and wander away from their
regular environs. I suspect that the contact zone is 15+/- miles in width,
perhaps narrower where the Mo. River is within it. I do bird more on the
southern side of the zone so I have noticed the occurrence of black-capped
more in areas where the Carolina is more predominant and this has almost
always been in fall and winter. From personal experience it would be
difficult for me to say which species might be expanding its range.
The chickadee complex is an interesting group of birds with enigmatic
behavior patterns and if you read Kroodsma's work, capable of forming
enduring family enclaves within relatively small geographic areas. I also
seem to recall that Dr. Bill Elder did some work with chickadees 30 or 40
years ago. Does anyone know if he published anything as a result?
Don Hays