 Slowly, a few sparrows other than the "old world sparrows" are trickling in.   Song sparrow has been around since last winter.. on and off.   I've seen a second white-throated sparrow this morning.  I'm waiting for a dark-eyed junco (maybe I will have one of those odd types that Bill Rudden is always finding).
    I've let some of the seed (probably that "filler" seed) grow into plants around the feeder area so there is cover there.  Actually, I've grown fond of the variety of grasses available. I am slowly naturalizing my backyard. In addition to regular lawn grasses, I have the wild violiets, wild strawberry, along with a variety of flowering "weeds".  Most of these do not grow tall and thus do not require mowing.  ( I guess I should put some botanical names to these,,, give me some time to study).
    I 'm watching the "sparrows"  feed in the rain. The northern cardinal is hiding in the grass, but with the rain, its red is especially bright.
    I am posting a picture (in upload gallery first) of the feeder area at mobirds.smugmug.com.  I have feeders in other areas, but this area is the busiest.

    Jane Allen
    St. Louis County

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/