As I was on my way home yesterday from work, I drove by Dexter City Lake and noticed black footballs on the water - warranting a closer look.

Glassing the city lake showed 9 very dark, rich looking Ivory-billed Waterfowl (A.K.A. Am. Coots). The stiff North winds were at work as I spent additional time walking around the lake in search of other migrants.

Chip notes revealed two Black-throated Green Warblers and at least two Eastern Phoebes chasing one another for prime flycatching perches.

As if a climax to my visit to the lake, a flock of about 300+ White Pelican laxily floated Southward high above on the North winds. Quite the sight!

I will try to get out to Otter Slough and/or Mingo this weekend, but I have family coming in for visit. Will post anything worthy.

Good Birding!

Chris Barrigar
Stoddard County

Store, manage and share up to 5GB with Windows Live SkyDrive. Start uploading now