Cypress Circle was teeming with warblers this morning, 8:30-9:30. It was
overwhelming: I must have missed seven or eight birds for every one I
could ID. The group was mostly Black-throated Green and Yellow-rumped
Warblers, but fair numbers of Nasville and Tennessee Warblers, as well
as 1 each first fall Northern Parula and Canada Warbler. Also in the
area were Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, Chipping Sparrows, and a Brown
Creeper. All to a soundtrack of a constant loud chewing sound from all
directions. The squirrels were certainly getting their recommended daily
allowance of cypress nut today.

After an hour of trying to see through feathery leaves, I wore out and
headed west to the Gaddy. It was much quieter, but still numerous
Golden-crowned and a few Ruby-crowned Kinglets, three yellow Redstarts,
six White-throated Sparrows, a Red-eyed Vireo, an Eastern Phoebe, and an
Ovenbird. Also, in the bushes behind the bubbler, a brief and incomplete
look at a scolding wren with eyestripe and grayish breast. I'd have
needed a better look to call it a Bewick's, so I'll not call it
anything.

David Scheu
St. Louis, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/