I am forwarding the following for James Hickner.

From: James Hickner [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2008 4:46 PM
To: Josh Uffman
Subject: American Avocet and other shorebirds at Clarence Cannon NWR - Sept

Hi Josh!

I birded several places - Busch CA, Lost Valley Trail, and Clarence Cannon NWR today. Found very few birds and no migrants or warblers at Lost Valley Trail, which I thought was strange at this time of year. Also at least half dozen Rudy-throated Hummingbirds visited feeders at the Busch CA headquarter building. Also a Yellow-billed Cuckoo, several Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, and a female Common Yellowthroat in the same area where the painted bunting was seen at Katy Trail Access.

At Clarence Cannon NWR, I saw an American Avocet (just one), Lesser Yellowlegs, a few Semipalmated Sandpipers, some Least Sandpipers (at least 30), at least dozen Stilt Sandpipers, several Pectoral Sandpipers, three Short-billed Dowitchers, many Killdeers, many American White Pelicans, Mallards, Green-winged Teals, Blue-winged Teals, and Northern Shovelers. Most of the birds were seen in the same area near the front and the HQ building.

A large lake covered much of the King Lake Tract of B.K. Leach just like last spring. Roads to Bittern Basin and Winfield Slough were closed due to water over the roads. You may have to cancel the Oct 4 field trip to find rails and sparrows; however Bittern Basin should be open by then.

Good birding,

Jim Hickner