Randy Cartwright and I hung out in Columbia before heading to the game yesterday.  We swung by Eagle Bluffs, which was disappointing.  Almost no birds there - best sighting was an Osprey with a fish.  We walked the Sinkhole trail at Rock Bridge - best birds were Canada, Black-throated Green, and Blackburnian warblers.  We also saw several Red-eyed Vireos, female Summer Tanager, E. Wood-Pewees, and all the usual suspects, including a Pileated Woodpecker.  In general, there was a lot of family noise that kept us moving quickly, so maybe there was stuff we missed.  We also had many nighthawks foraging above us at the lights at the game last night.

Jennifer Reidy
Liberty, MO

Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 10:13:44 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: common nighthawks migration
To: [log in to unmask]

I counted over 20 nighthawks over downtown Columbia, MO in the space of about 15 minutes as my wife and I walked across the street from the parking lot to the movie theatre around sunset. They were cruising at a higher altitude than the multitude of swifts which were chattering diving above the tops of the buildings. With the  sunset reflecting off the clouds it was a beautiful sight.

Mark