Forwarding for James Hickner

From: James Hickner [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2008 10:36 AM
To: Josh Uffman
Subject: B.K. Leach and Clarence Cannon - Sat Aug 30th

Hi Josh,

Clarence Cannon NWR was great not only for shorebirds but also for fall migrants, especially warblers. Also found some at Norton Woods Access near B.K. Leach CA. Here is yesterday result:

B.K. Leach CA - my first stop:

Belted Kingfisher - 1

Lesser Yellowleg

Greater Yellowleg

Pectoral Sandpiper

Least Sandpiper

Killdeer Double-crested Cormorant plus some other usual birds

Also all five species of swallows - Barn, Bank (found one on a wire), Northern Rough-winged, Cliff ( found two), and Tree Swallows

Norton Woods Access:

Wilson's Warbler - 1

Indigo Bunting

Rudy-throated Hummingbird

Chestnut-sided Warbler - 1 immature

Tennessee Warbler - 1

Blue-winged Warbler - 1

Prothonotary Warbler - 1 male

Clarence Cannon NWR:

Killdeer

Lesser Yellowleg

Semipalmated Sandpiper

Pectoral Sandpiper

Greater Yellowleg

Least Sandpiper

Semipalmated Plover

Baird's Sandpiper - 1 or 2

Buff-breasted Sandpiper - 2

Stilt Sandpiper - more of them than my previous trips

Short-billed Dowitcher - 3

American Golden Plover - 1

Forster's Tern - 5

In the wooded area in the NE part of the refugee-

Eastern Phoebe - 3

Northern Waterthrush - 1

Indigo Bunting - 1 female

Chestnut-sided Warbler - 2

Blackburnian Warbler - 1 male and 1 female

empid flycatcher - 1 ( I think it was either Willow or Alder)

Eastern Wood Pewee - 1

Northern Parula

Black-and-white Warbler - 1

Tennessee Warbler - 1 or 2

Red-eyed Vireo - 1

I had a total of 58 species for the day. It was too hot in the afternoon to continue.

Good birding,

Jim Hickner