Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 21:25:08 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Red Slough Bird Survey - Sep. 3 (Amazing Day!!!!!)
To: [log in to unmask]

Wow!  Don't even know how to begin to describe today.  71 species were found today on the Red Slough bird survey.  7 new species for the Red Slough list were found and 2 species not on the Oklahoma list were seen.  The eye of hurricane Gustav passed over Red Slough and brought a horde of birds from the gulf.  I arrived around 10 a.m. (wished I had gotten there earlier!) and went to Otter Lake.  Immediately I encountered terns of several species.  Over the next 6+ hours all kinds of birds fed on and flew by Otter, Pintail, and Lotus Lakes.  Otter Lake was the hotspot for the rare terns.  The best finds of the day were a Cory's Shearwater flying west to east over Otter Lake, Sooty Terns feeding on Otter Lake, Royal Tern landing on the water of Otter Lake, and a frigatebird flying over Pintail Lake.  Also nice were 3 adult Sabine's Gulls in alternate plumage and two Red-necked Phalaropes.  I called Berlin and like to never got him away from Broken Bow lake were he was having some luck, but he finally came down and was able to get some of the good birds photographed.  Steve Metz came running down also and just managed to get to see the last 4 Sooty Terns that flew by.  Things slowed way down after 4 p.m.  Other notable observations were about a total of 1000 unidentified shorebirds that kept flying over and a mass migration of Eastern Kingbirds that went from horizon to horizon.  I stopped counting them after 5,000 birds.  Too much other stuff going on.  Here is a complete list of all found today:

Cory's Shearwater - 1

Wood Duck - 31
Mallard - 1
Blue-winged Teal - 455
Northern Shoveler - 3
Northern Pintail - 26
Pied-billed Grebe - 7
American White Pelican - 1
Neotropic Cormorant - 1
Double-crested Cormorant - 2
Anhinga - 13
Magnificent Frigatebird - 1 adult male
American Bittern - 2
Least Bittern - 2
Great Blue Heron - 8
Great Egret - 41
Snowy Egret - 7
Little Blue Heron - 15
Tricolored Heron - 3
Cattle Egret - 2
Green Heron - 4
White Ibis - 48
Dark Ibis sp. - 37
Roseate Spoonbill - 2
Wood Stork - 21
Black Vulture - 4
Turkey Vulture - 63
Osprey - 1
Mississippi Kite - 1
Northern Harrier - 1
Accipiter sp. - 2
Common Moorhen - 5
Semipalmated Plover - 1
Black-necked Stilt - (flock of 14 flying low over the water of Otter Lk.)
Spotted Sandpiper - 4
Solitary Sandpiper - 10
Greater Yellowlegs - 15
Lesser Yellowlegs - 41
Upland Sandpiper - 5
Long-billed Curlew - 1
Ruddy Turnstone - 30
Western Sandpiper - 4
Pectoral Sandpiper - 7
Stilt Sandpiper - 2
Short-billed Dowitcher - 8
Long-billed Dowitcher - 3
Wilson's Phalarope - 3
Red-necked Phalarope - 2
Laughing Gull - 4 juv.
Ring-billed Gull - 5

Sabine's Gull - 3 (adults in alternate plumage.)
Least Tern - 8
Caspian Tern - 2
Black Tern - 51
Common Tern - 1