MoBirders,

This morning I started at the crack of dawn at Clarence Cannon NWR (Pike Co.).  Still a lot of birds up there.  The shorebird numbers are dropping off, while the waterfowl numbers are picking up.  Wader numbers look to be about the same as last weekend... 100's and 100's of mostly Great Egrets.

Shorebirds included:
1 - American Golden Plover
~10 - Semipalmated Plover
1 - PIPING PLOVER, near the grassy area at the front pool.
Only ~10 Killdeer
5 - BLACK-NECKED STILT
1 - Spotted Sandpiper
~8 - Solitary Sandpiper
5 Greater Yellowlegs and ~45 Lesser Yellowlegs
3 - HUDSONIAN GODWITS; Yes, I saw the white wing-stripe and white tail band (at least on two of the birds).  These birds were on the right side (a couple hundred yards out), just before you get to the gate that closes off the back half of the refuge).
Very few peeps overall...  No Western or Baird's Sandpipers seen today by me.
Only could come up with 5 Pectoral Sandpipers
~20 Stilt Sandpiper
1 - Long-billed Dowitcher
1 - Dowitcher that went unid'd
1 - Wilson's Phalarope
1 - RED-NECKED PHALAROPE, in the front pool.

Still 2 Black Terns over Big Pond and a few BOBOLINKS in the back of the refuge.

From there I headed south through the BK Leach CA - King's Lake Unit (Lincoln Co.) where there were many teal hunters.  Did have 5 - BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS (my 18th sp. of the day) at the north end of the area.

Last stop was Sandy Slough Road and Winfield Lock and Dam (Lincoln Co.).  There are mudflats in Sandy Slough now, not a whole lot of birds - but there are mudflats.  Less than a hundred shorebirds total that included Least, Semipalmated, Spotted and Pectoral Sandpipers.  Also had 3- AMERICAN REDSTARTS, 1 - MAGNOLIA WARBLER, 1 - BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER and 1 PROTHONOTARY WARBLER along Sandy Slough Road.

Josh

Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO
MO-Records:  www.showme-birds.com