From: Charlene and Jim Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RED KNOT at Hayford rd.
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 4:21 PM

Don't know exactly who saw this bird first but there is (was?) a RED KNOT
seen at Hayford rd, St. Charles co.
Pool is on the west side of road.

When I was there, a Peregrine (or two?) was really getting birds up
repeatedly.
I saw an all gray bird through the tops of the smartweed on the levee and
brushed it off as a Willet.....D'OH!!.(Bad birder....also forgot to bring
the tripod so only had limited sight of pools from the car mount.....double
D'OH)

Joe came a bit later (~ 20 minutes) after I left and IDed this bird as a RED
KNOT.
(Also heard the Bill Rudden had this bird before noon...??)

Anyway.......
I came back to see the knot but it was not being seen at that time.
Joe and I left but it could still be out there because things are moving
around and hunkering down in the marsh plants to avoid the Peregrine.

Other birds seen:
Wilson's Phalarope
Black-bellied Plovers
LEAST TERN - Joe found
Black and Caspian Terns
Thousands of shorebirds are still around at Hayford rd. but NOT FOR LONG.
This weekend is TEAL SEASON.
Let the gun play begin!

TWO HUDSONIAN GODWITS were at RMBS at the pool by the dam but got flushed so
don't know if they will still be there.

Good birding,
Charlene Malone
St. Louis co.