http://www.acla.org/acla2009/?p=153

Languages of the Aesthetic: Art and Finitude from Baumgarten to Badiou

Seminar Organizers: Robert S. Lehman, Cornell U, Matthew Anderson, SUNY
Buffalo

When Alexander Baumgarten isolated a specifically sensible form of
knoweldge, “aesthetics,” he secured as a corollary to this knowledge a world
that had “no existence except for man,” a world limited to those creatures
condemned to spatio-temporal finitude. If this world could only be approached
in a discourse on art — in Baumgarten’s case, in a series of meditations on
poetry — it was because art insisted most strongly on the irreducibility of the
sensible to any abstract concept. At the origin of philosophical aesthetics,
then, we discover a constellation that brings together art, the sensible world,
and the finite subject. The legacy of this constellation is indissociable from
some of the most innovative and influential work in the history of the
humanities, most notably the line of critical thought that stretches from
Immanuel Kant to Jacques Derrida.

In this seminar, we propose to examine modernity’s attempts to come to terms
with the singularity and irreducibility of aesthetic experience. Though we
encourage participants to draw upon material throughout the period in
question, we are particularly interested in proposals that address the ways in
which twentieth-century thinkers have tried to recuperate or reimagine the
intersection of art, finitude, and sensibility.

Possible topics could include:

Aesthetics, Inaesthetics, Anti-Aesthetics
Aesthetics and Temporality
Singularity and the Aesthetic Experience
Physis and Techne, or, Art as Nature and Nature as Art
Art and Death

http://www.acla.org/acla2009/?p=153