Gary Johnson, Paul Habiger and I birded Schell Osage CA and 4-Rivers CA
today. WE did not find the Neotropic Cormorant at Schell. Shore birds were
scarce there. We had only Solitaries, Spotties, Pecs. and Killdeer.

Except for one soaring Missisppi Kite, the East Unit of 4-Rivers was also
disappointing, and the West Unit even less productive -- much of it being
closed. However, there was good shorebird habitat at the Ducks Unlimited
Unit, albeit somewhat distant. We were able to get the following shore birds
there:

20 Killdeer
1 Greater Yellowlegs
5-6 Lesser Yellowlegs
At least 3 Stilt Sandpipers
30+ pectorals
15+ Least Sandpipers
2 Semi-palmated Sandpipers
1 Baird's Sandpiper
3+ BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPERS
1 Wilson's Snipe.

Here I go again with the Cave Swallow! On the gravel road leading to the
East Unit of 4-Rivers, we found 150-200 Cliff Swallows, mostly immature
birds, massed together on the road and c. 100 more in a nearby wire. As we
approached the swallows, I looked the birds on the road over carefully for
Cave Swallow. As we crept forward most of them would fly up, then settle
back onto the road again. We would stop and look them over. Then some would
fly again. We would move a little and stop, and they would return, etc. We
eventually got to within about 60 feet of them before they all flew up and
only settled down again farther down the road. Altogether, I scanned the
birds about five times, each time interrupted by a fly up. On two of those
scans, including the last and closest, I saw what appeared to be a
cream-colored head among all the dark heads. On the last scan, I'm sure I
saw the bird well enough - i.e. I saw the black cap surrounded by creamy
buff collar, cheek and throat plus a somewhat scruffy-looking  brown body --
to call it an immature Cave Swallow.

Okay. Okay. So I have done this before. I didn't see the bird I reported
from the Montrose area 08/06/05 well enough to convince the MBRC, and these
glimpses were also too brief to convince that properly-conservative body.
But believe me. They're here! And you'll see one if you take the trouble to
look through large numbers of Cliff Swallows in August the way you search
for Ross' Geese among large numbers of snows in November. (I remember when
Ross' Goose was #2 on the BAS Ten Best list.)

Please give it a try.

Thanks.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri