Thursday was a day for catchup birding as some of our travellers rejoined us.  We started by looking for the Scissortails off Hwy N at Hwy 64, St Charles County.  We were again successful seeing an adult in two separate close flybys.  We did not see adult, juvenile or fledglings at the green trailer Stonewall Creek Drive spot, but saw an adult at the Hwy N/S.Henke Rd intersection and an adult male flew over the apron of N road apron to nowhere on our way out.

  From there we went to the Olin Nature place in Godfrey IL which was graced by many swallowtail butterfy species, Am Goldfinch, E Peewees, swallows, Chimney Swifts, RC Hummingbirds and singing House Wrens plus a couple of Turkey Vultures soaring at eye level.  After lunch we took the Brussels Ferry over to Calhoun County and checked the first turnoff that leads to the long causeway.  The river water was very high with only a few Great Blue Herons having the legs for fishing there.  Even the Great Egrets and Little Blues confined themselves to the pools left on the land side of the levees.  Even there we didn't see any small or medium shorebirds.  A quick trip down the Wetlands area formerly referred to as the pump road found the same high water with mostly Great Blues and Great Egrets.  We ran out of time and did not go on to the HQ area, but were glad to see a Caspian Tern in a low flyby on the way out.

  About 630pm today, Friday, I received a call from Richard Coles on his way back from Colorado.  He was checking about the location of the Scissortails.  He was successful in getting good looks at an adult and a juvenile in the Henke/N cutoff apron area perched in a tree.

  Jackie Chain
  St Louis County

ASM Fall Meeting: Sept. 26-28, 2008 at Osage Beach, MO