There were several Sedge Wrens at Squaw Creek calling from the tall grasses along 159. We also saw a few American Coot, but no Moorhens. There were also a few Black Terns. Was fun to see all the young birds around - lots of PB Grebes of various sizes, also many Swallows, Orchard Orioles, Kingfishers, and a brood of each RN Pheasants and Bobwhite Quail, among others. We watched a pair of Western Kingbirds and an Eastern Kingbird vigorously attacking a Common Grackle on top of a utilty pole at gas station on west side of Mound City. Later we watched the WEKI fly to a nearby pole with a transformer. Then one went to nest where it begin setting like it still had eggs.

Cool to see a Badger cross the road right in front of us at Bob Brown CA.

 Steve Kinder

Larry Lade <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I apologize for the late reply (quite a few "irons in the fire" lately.

Steve Kinder and I visited Squaw Creek NWR, Bob Brown CA and Mound City, MO last Saturday, July 26. There is virtually no shorebird habitat at Squaw Creek. All the suitable places are grown up in vegetation with no standing water. There are no mud flats. Bob Brown has too much water in the distribution ditches. There are some minimal muddy areas on the side of the road opposite the marsh area where we did see a couple of shorebirds.

Here is a list of birds seen, as I remember it (birds at Squaw Creek, except where other location is given):

Pied-billed Grebe
American White Pelican
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron
Cattle Egreat (~120 @ Squaw)
Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Turkey Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk
Northern Bobwhite
Ring-necked Pheasant
American Coot
Killdeer
Solitary Sandpiper (Bob Brown)
Least Sandpiper (Bob Brown)
Pectoral Sandpiper (Bob Brown)
Mourning Dove
Eurasian Collared-Dove (Mound City)
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Belted Kingfisher (~10 @ Squaw)
Northern Flicker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Red-headed Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Eastern Kingbird
Western Kingbird (Mound City)
Great Crested Flycatcher (Bob Brown)
Eastern Phoebe
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Horned Lark (Bob Brown)
Tree Swallow
Bank Swallow (Bob Brown)
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Purple Martin
Blue Jay
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
House Wren
Carolina Wren
Marsh Wren
Gray Catbird
Brown Thrasher
American Robin
Eastern Bluebird
Cedar Waxwing
European Starling
Bell's Vireo
Common Yellowthroat
House Sparrow
Eastern Meadowlark (Bob Brown)
Red-winged Blackbird
Orchard Oriole
Baltimore Oriole
Great-tailed Grackle
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Northern Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Blue Grosbeak (Forbes, MO)
Indigo Bunting
Dickcissel (Bob Brown)
American Goldfinch
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow

* If I missed listing something, perhaps Steve can fill in the missing ones.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO