There were several Sedge Wrens at Squaw Creek calling from the tall grasses along 159. We also saw a few American Coot, but no Moorhens. There were also a few Black Terns. Was fun to see all the young birds around - lots of PB Grebes of various sizes, also many Swallows, Orchard Orioles, Kingfishers, and a brood of each RN Pheasants and Bobwhite Quail, among others. We watched a pair of Western Kingbirds and an Eastern Kingbird vigorously attacking a Common Grackle on top of a utilty pole at gas station on west side of Mound City. Later we watched the WEKI fly to a nearby pole with a transformer. Then one went to nest where it begin setting like it still had eggs.

  Cool to see a Badger cross the road right in front of us at Bob Brown CA.

   Steve Kinder

Larry Lade <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
            I apologize for the late reply (quite a few "irons in the fire" lately.

  Steve Kinder and I visited Squaw Creek NWR, Bob Brown CA and Mound City, MO last Saturday, July 26. There is virtually no shorebird habitat at Squaw Creek. All the suitable places are grown up in vegetation with no standing water. There are no mud flats. Bob Brown has too much water in the distribution ditches. There are some minimal muddy areas on the side of the road opposite the marsh area where we did see a couple of shorebirds.

  Here is a list of birds seen, as I remember it (birds at Squaw Creek, except where other location is given):

  Pied-billed Grebe
  American White Pelican
  Double-crested Cormorant
  Great Blue Heron
  Green Heron
  Cattle Egreat (~120 @ Squaw)
  Canada Goose
  Wood Duck
  Turkey Vulture
  Red-tailed Hawk
  Northern Bobwhite
  Ring-necked Pheasant
  American Coot
  Killdeer
  Solitary Sandpiper (Bob Brown)
  Least Sandpiper (Bob Brown)
  Pectoral Sandpiper (Bob Brown)
  Mourning Dove
  Eurasian Collared-Dove (Mound City)
  Yellow-billed Cuckoo
  Belted Kingfisher (~10 @ Squaw)
  Northern Flicker
  Red-bellied Woodpecker
  Red-headed Woodpecker
  Downy Woodpecker
  Eastern Kingbird
  Western Kingbird (Mound City)
  Great Crested Flycatcher (Bob Brown)
  Eastern Phoebe
  Eastern Wood-Pewee
  Horned Lark (Bob Brown)
  Tree Swallow
  Bank Swallow (Bob Brown)
  Northern Rough-winged Swallow
  Barn Swallow
  Cliff Swallow
  Purple Martin
  Blue Jay
  American Crow
  Black-capped Chickadee
  Tufted Titmouse
  White-breasted Nuthatch
  House Wren
  Carolina Wren
  Marsh Wren
  Gray Catbird
  Brown Thrasher
  American Robin
  Eastern Bluebird
  Cedar Waxwing
  European Starling
  Bell's Vireo
  Common Yellowthroat
  House Sparrow
  Eastern Meadowlark (Bob Brown)
  Red-winged Blackbird
  Orchard Oriole
  Baltimore Oriole
  Great-tailed Grackle
  Common Grackle
  Brown-headed Cowbird
  Northern Cardinal
  Rose-breasted Grosbeak
  Blue Grosbeak (Forbes, MO)
  Indigo Bunting
  Dickcissel (Bob Brown)
  American Goldfinch
  Chipping Sparrow
  Field Sparrow

  * If I missed listing something, perhaps Steve can fill in the missing ones.

  Larry Lade
  Saint Joseph, MO