While camping out at Thousand Hills State Park last evening, I heard a
Red-shouldered Hawk (classified as rare in N. MO) calling repeatedly
from the woods near the lake by campground 1.  There were no jays in
the area that I could detect, so I'm relatively certain it was a RSHA.
I've never had one at Thousand Hills before.

Also, conspicuous in their absence were Whip-poor-wills.  I've never
heard less than 2 or 3 there in past camping trips but I didn't hear
any last night.  Perhaps it's getting a little late in the season, but
it still seemed strange.

Phil Wire
Kirksville, Adair Co.