Hi, Jane,

Cardinals don’t care for this feeder because they like to face their food, and have more perching room.  If you’re willing to do a little retrofitting, you could add a T or a ring or a flat piece of some sort that will not add much weight, and won’t interfere with the closing of the food access.  It’s the idea behind the new perch adapter from Droll Yankee, made for their regular seed and New Generation feeders.  I *think* you can see them here:   http://goldcrestdistributing.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=93&products_id=34509&osCsid=cbde94295bd823946e48b005ebb8646d

At the very least, you might try sandwiching a couple pieces of cardboard around a perch with rubber cement.  It should be sturdy enough to hold a cardinal, and easy enough to remove if you want to.

 You should only need to alter the bottom perches. We usually will have only a pair of cardinals at one time, and they like the lower perches of feeders.

(That’s presuming, of course, that you want cardinals there.)

Good luck!

Heidi McCullough

Kansas City, MO (Platte Co)