I was sitting in the MCDonald's at Smiley Lane and Rangeline in north Columbia this morning when I spotted a western kingbird outside near the parking lot.  As I watched I realized there were at least two of them out there, along with many barn swallows and an eastern kingbird, I presume because some especially tasty bugs were swarming near the Break Time.  At one point a western and eastern kingbird got into a fight over a particular branch they both wanted to rest on.

It'll be great to see western kingbirds regularly if they are indeed settling in here as I think they are such  beautiful birds.  But I do wonder about their competition with the eastern kingbirds - and the scissor-tailed flycatchers..

ASM Fall Meeting: Sept. 26-28, 2008 at Osage Beach, MO