The trip today to Otter Slough wasn't too shabby with a meager 66 species observed. I'm ashamed to say that I was unable to observe a single G. Catbird, Red-shouldered Hawks or any owls.

The Scissor-tailed Flycatchers, Eastern Kingbirds and Orchard Orioles are still nesting in the campground area on the East side of Otter Slough just South of the main entrance.

Plover Pond (located at the East side of Otter Slough main entrance) is drying up with only several families of Canada Goose and a few Mallard present.

Seen flying over Cypress Lake was a lone Forster's Tern that was very cooperative in perching on a semi-submerged log about 40 yards from the end of a peninsula making for great looks and a somewhat decent photo-op. I think it odd that it was in basic plumage. Does it take this species more than one year to reach maturity, breeding plumage similar to gulls? I must admit gulls and terns are not my forte.

There was also a seemingly healthy male Ring-necked Duck in company with several male Mallards at the West end of the ditch that runs along Conservation Lane.

Only one individual was seen in the Bald Eagle nest - a juvenile nearly as large as an adult now. I wonder if the other juvenile was sitting on a nearby branch hidden from view. I did not locate either parent today.

Most the pools have been drained and planted at this point with only two or three pools holding water.

Good Birding!

Chris Barrigar
Stoddard CO.

Introducing Live Search cashback . It's search that pays you back! Try it Now