Today after work, I made my way over to the "Dexter Rice Fields" off Hwy's CC and HH with not much out of the expected: Loggerhead Shrike (on Hwy 114), 20+ Black-necked Stilts and the regulars.

I did NOT see any Whilsting Ducks that I had hoped for; however, I did manage to locate a seemingly healthy and very active male Northern Shoveler. The MO guides indicate that this species is normally absent during summer months.

The Shoveler was located in a pond just off the south side of Hwy 60 and .2 mile West of CR 593.

I plan on hitting Otter Slough tomorrow and will update according to observations made there.

Good Birding!

Chris Barrigar
Stoddard Co.

The other season of giving begins 6/24/08. Check out the iím Talkathon. Check it out!
ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/