Today, Mark McKellar and I did a bird survey at Wah Kon Tah Prairie, near El Dorado Springs. We had a male Painted Bunting fly up from the road and then sing in the top of a small tree next to the road. The bird was on CRD 501, which is the first road east of the headquarters building. He was just past a house on the east side of the road with multiple gray sheds/barns on the property. We did not see any of the transplanted Prairie Chickens, but there were also Loggerhead Shrikes and Scissor-tailed Flycatchers just down the road from the headquarters. Unfortunately, the  Painted Bunting was not at one of our points and was only a footnote to the count, but he was a State bird for both Mark and myself.

Directions to Wah Kon Tah can be found at
 http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/missouri/preserves/art19920.html

Happy birding, Ruth Simmons Lee's Summit, Jackson Co., MO [log in to unmask] "A nation behaves well if the natural resources and assets which one generation turns over to the next are increased and not impaired in value."  (Theodore Roosevelt)

Need to know now? Get instant answers with Windows Live Messenger. IM on your terms.
ASM Fall Meeting: Sept. 26-28, 2008 at Osage Beach, MO