Today, Mark McKellar and I did a bird survey at Wah Kon Tah Prairie, near El Dorado Springs. We had a male Painted Bunting fly up from the road and then sing in the top of a small tree next to the road. The bird was on CRD 501, which is the first road east of the headquarters building. He was just past a house on the east side of the road with multiple gray sheds/barns on the property. We did not see any of the transplanted Prairie Chickens, but there were also Loggerhead Shrikes and Scissor-tailed Flycatchers just down the road from the headquarters. Unfortunately, the  Painted Bunting was not at one of our points and was only a footnote to the count, but he was a State bird for both Mark and myself.

Directions to Wah Kon Tah can be found at
 http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/missouri/preserves/art19920.html

Happy birding,

Ruth Simmons

Lee's Summit, Jackson Co., MO

"A nation behaves well if the natural resources and assets which one

generation turns over to the next are increased and not impaired in

value."  (Theodore Roosevelt)

http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_messenger_062008
ASM Fall Meeting: Sept. 26-28, 2008 at Osage Beach, MO