We birded the Blue Grosbeak Trail, Lost Valley, a quick turnaround at Katy Trail, and ended at Busch CA for a short day on Thursday in St Charles County.

Starting at the Blue Grosbeak Trail, we heard many Bell's Vireos; and the first car to get there saw one well from the parking lot.  The Tree Swallows visited their cavity nest in the dead tree on the right, no babies seen as yet.  The most fun was watching several species bump each other off a slim dead twig.  We had Willow Flycatcher (no doubt the same one that had sung from there a couple of Saturdays ago), a flamboyant YB Chat, a Blue Grosbeak, the Chat again, an Indigo Bunting sneaked in, an American Goldfinch, and finally a Great Crested Flycatcher.  It was quite a show.

List from there:  Bell's Vireo, Blue Grosbeak, Cedar Waxwing, Am Goldfinch, YB Chat, Song Sparrow, Cooper's Hawk flying over the hilltop field, Turkey Vultures, Great Crested FC, Willow Flycatcher, Indigo Bunting, N Bobwhite (h), Great Blue Heron flyover, E. Meadowlark (h), Starling, Redwinged BB, Blue Jay, Gray Catbird, Brown Thrashers. C Yellowthroat.
...and a Charles Harper Raccoon that popped up in curiosity from the tall grass for an instant when we started on the trail.

On to Lost Valley where we went only to the split in the road before turning back at the beginning of the prairie.  Many birds were heard-only here.  Partial list:

Warbling Vireo, Yellow-throated Vireo, Red-eyed Vireo, White-eyed Vireo, Cerulean Warbler,
Black and White Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler, Kentucky Warbler, N Parula, YB Chat, Blue-winged Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, YB Cuckoo, E Towhee, Acadian Flycatcher, N Cardinal, Red-shouldered Hawk, Carolina Wren, White-breasted Nuthatch, Am Crow
E Wood Peewee, Tufted Titmouse ... and a RT Hummer caught in a sunbeam hovering six inches above the ground.

At the Katy Trail we didn't see anything memorable and we went on to Busch for lunch.

Around Lake 33, we added House Sparrows, Barn Swallows, a Red-tailed Hawk, Field Sparrow, more Titmice, Cardinals, Bluebirds, Yellow Warblers, a Great Egret in a tree, Pileated making a lot of noise, more WB Nuthatches, Blue-gray Gnatcatchers and a Yellow-billed Cuckoo that was seen and not just heard,

Several of the birds were new for the year for different birders;, it was sunny and not too warm and the birds were singing.

Jackie Chain
St Louis County

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/