Sunday evening June15.  N. St. Louis county.

  While scoping Black-necked stilts that hang in the back 40*,
   I came across this tight group of 3 Fulvous Whistling-Ducks:
  http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/bilrudn/fulvous1.jpg
  Heads tucked their long necks were not apparent:
  http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/bilrudn/fulvous5.jpg
  They began to stir and their characters became more recognizable:
  http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/bilrudn/fulvous8.jpg
  Kinda pintail like grey bills, and the white rear and flank stripes gave them a tiny geese look:
  http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/bilrudn/fulvous7.jpg
  The fulvous color became more pronounced and the wings sealed the deal:
  http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/bilrudn/fulvous2.jpg
  black above and below:
  http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/bilrudn/fulvous3.jpg
  The bad news is they flew deeper into the refuge:
  http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/bilrudn/fulvous4.jpg
  http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/bilrudn/fulvous6.jpg

* Charlene's posted directions:
SEE 2007 Map of Columbia Bottom CA available at the office (even it's
closed)
3 FULVOUS WHISTLING DUCKS are being seen in Pool #2 where the road
bends off
toward the west.
Directions:
- take I-270 north toward IL. Take CBCA exit onto Riverview Road.
- Turn Left and follow signs to CBCA.
- Enter Columbia Bottoms CA (CBCA) from Riverview Road.
- Take gravel road to the right at the "Y"
- go all the way back to where the road straightens out and runs along
flooded corn stubble fields on your left (north) and the tree lined
flooded
fields on the right (south)..
- park at the FIRST parking lot (where the "gold truck guy" hangs out
for
locals)
- across from this is where the gated refuge road is where the BN
Stilts
have been hanging out.  There were at the "first bend in the road".

  Bill Rudden
  St. Louis

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/