Horseshoe Lake (Buchanan County) south of Saint Joseph continues to hold water as a result of the persisting rain we are receiving. Yesterday morning there were four, young Hooded Mergansers, one adult drake Blue-winged Teal and one adult drake GREEN-WINGED TEAL on the west end.

* Checking my records, I found that I have not seen a Green-winged teal in Missouri in June!

Over my Mud Lake I encountered two Cattle Egrets catching insects in the vicinity of some cows. At the marsh area on Bluff Road (east side of 59 Highway) I found Green Heron, Great Blue Heron and Great Egrets.

I saw 4/5 Yellow-billed Cuckoos while driving around the oxbows area. Some other birds I added to the day's list were Eastern & Western Kingbirds, all three mimids, Lark Sparrows, Grasshopper Sparrows (nesting around Muskrat Lake) and Chipping Sparrows plus a lot of the other expected summertime species.

There were quite a few Barn, Bank and Cliff Swallows feeding over Lake Contrary.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan County
ASM Fall Meeting: Sept. 26-28, 2008 at Osage Beach, MO