From: Chris Hobbs <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:16 pm
Subject: banding clarification

Banding the hummer was not a mistake and needs no apology or even an
explanation.  Banding has scientific merit and the outcome of the act of banding
is not certain - obviously some birds leave and some stay.  We've all chased
birds that weren't banded or collected - they just decided to leave or stay
without an apparent reason.  And some birders are inconvenienced - oh well -
such is the life of a birder!

Fisher suggests forewarning potential travelers of possible impacts on their
success.  That's easy enough to accomplish and a head's-up is always
appreciated.  The weekend activities that were pre-planned around our home
precluded my traveling to Farmington, but if that little sucker hangs around,
I'll be lurking in the garden!

Thanks to all for keeping the rest of us apprised!

Chris Hobbs
Shawnee, KS

mailto:[log in to unmask]