Edge and Chris and Mobirders -
Regarding banding stress:

The Rufous Hummingbird, found on the Dec. 29, 2004, Joplin MO. CBC,
was banded the following weekend and "hung around" through mid January
(pers. obs.).
I'll admit, with winter weather, the options for that individual were
limited
however.  So, hang around in spite of extra stress was possible/probable.
The late Troy G. came down and banded it - also on a weekend - because
that is when he had time from the "real world" work.
If I had to do over then I would have called Troy or Lanny again...!
Good birding,  Larry H.  Joplin, Jasper County, MO.