This morning Matt Ladage and I were at the Blue Grosbeak Trail in Weldon
Spring CA around 5:30am. We quickly found my target for the morning...a
BELL'S VIREO was singing on each side of the trail about half way up the
little hill. A YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT was also singing, but never showed
itself. A GRASSHOPPER SPARROW was singing from a nearby field. We returned
to the trail on our way back around 8:30am and found a male BLUE GROSBEAK in
a tree with some CEDAR WAXWINGS.

Our second stop this morning was a surprisingly cold Lost Valley Trail. We
missed my hoped-for Yellow-throated Warbler here, but we did encounter an
ORCHARD ORIOLE, a singing KENTUCKY WARBLER, many LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSHES, a
few NORTHERN PARULAS and CERULEAN WARBLERS way up at the tops of the
sycamores, and a much more cooperative (relatively speaking) YELLOW-BREASTED
CHAT. A single BARRED OWL flew past us when we reached a small clearing.

A stop at the much warmer Katy Trail access point didn't yield too much...a
few CHIMNEY SWIFTS and WHITE-EYED VIREOS.

A very quick drive through Busch Wildlife didn't produce anything too
interesting.

Today I heard at least one YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO at every single stop we
made.

Good birding,
Ryan

--
Ryan Douglas
Ithaca, NY

ASM Fall Meeting: Sept. 26-28, 2008 at Osage Beach, MO